Are you a person who pays attention to details?
Do you look for themes and main points?
Just for fun today, we have a Pop Quiz to see how well you know the details of the Christmas story!
Test yourself, then test your family over dinner or your friends as you get together this month.
Directions: Answer True or False to each question. True responses must be supported by Scripture. Answers are below.
- The angel Gabriel appeared to Mary first and then Gabriel appeared to Joseph.
- The little drummer boy came to the manger after the other shepherds.
- Jesus’ ancestors include a prostitute, an adulterer, and two non-Israelites.
- God sent a choir of chubby angels to announce Jesus’ birth to the shepherds.
- Both Joseph and Mary were told that the baby was to be named “Jesus.”
- After the angels’ announcement, the shepherds went straight to Bethlehem to see Jesus.
- Joseph married Mary immediately after the angel appeared to him.
- The wisemen found Jesus lying in a manger in the town of Bethlehem.
What detail always catches your attention in the Christmas story?
What question would you add to the quiz?
- F The angel named Gabriel appeared to Mary, but the angel who appeared to Joseph was not named in the Scriptures. (Luke 1:26, Matthew 1:20)
- F The Bible does not mention a drummer boy.
- T Rahab was a prostitute. David and Uriah’s wife were adulterers. Rahab was a Canaanite and Ruth was from Moab. (Matthew 1:5, 6)
- F That’s not the description given; God sent an army of warrior angels. “Company” and “host” are military terms. (Luke 2:13)
- T In Jewish tradition, the father names the baby, and here we see God the Father (not Joseph) naming the Son. (Matthew 1:21 and Luke 1:31)
- T They did not hesitate! (They didn’t even stop at Starbucks on the way!) (Luke 2:15-16)
- T Yes, his obedience was quick and complete. (Matthew 1:24)
- F Jesus was in a house by this time and is called a child rather than a baby. (Matthew 2:11 NIV)